Who is Dr. Hoffmeyer?
Dr. Hoffmeyer is a General Dentist (DK) and a recognized Specialist in Periodontics including Implants (USA). An equivalent to this American recognized 3+ year Specialty Education Degree at an Accredited University and Board Certification is not offered in Denmark.
She has had the privilege of an international upbringing, giving her an understanding and open mind to various cultures, thoughts and life-styles.
After achieving her Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree in her early 20’s from the Royal Dental College in Copenhagen, Denmark, she practiced dentistry from 1988-1997, working with General Dentistry and her main interests in Periodontal-, Implant-, Surgical- and Cosmetic procedures with/without the help of general anaesthetics performed by Anaesthesiologists.
Her understanding of the importance of preventive dental care and compassion for unprivileged children lead her to Sri Lanka to aid with voluntary dental work for a short time. (Published article in Danish Dental Journal, 1988).
Feeling that she lacked in the knowledge of general dental practice management skills, Dr. Hoffmeyer studied in the evenings for several years at the Niels Brock Copenhagen Business College and graduated in 1994 with the Merkonom Diploma in Business Accounting (Accounting, Organization, Leadership, Computer) (“Merkonom Regnskabsvæsen”).
In 1997, her great passion for Periodontics and Implants lead her to the University of Texas, USA.
Dr. Hoffmeyer’ 3 year full-time specialty training at the university, her multiple research projects, her final thesis and her specialized clinical patient treatments resulted in obtaining her Master’s Degree and Specialist’s Degree in Periodontics in 2000.
The same year 2000, Dr. Hoffmeyer obtained her dental license to practice dentistry in private practice in Texas, USA.
As an addition to her Specialist Degree in Periodontics (USA), Dr. Hoffmeyer then fullfiled the requirements and exams and became Board Certified (USA) and a Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology (USA) in 2005.
In Europe she obtained her certification as a specialist in Periodontology by the European Federation of Periodontology (http://periodont.dk/efp-certificerede-specialister/).
During these years she has been an active participant in 9 research projects and several case studies together with colleagues from Germany and USA concerning Periodontology and Implant Dentistry topics. Many of these studies have been presented as table clinics or oral presentations at national and international conferences and published as a book, abstracts or article in internationally recognized implant and research journals. Dr. Hoffmeyer has won 2 first prize awards on her table clinic presentations in U.S.A.
Active participation in the following research projects:
1. Guided bone regeneration with a bioresorbable membrane around dental implants in critical size defects (Thesis and publication)
2. The influence of the presence of an implant on the outcome of guided bone regeneration.
3. The influence of the implant surface on the outcome of guided bone regeneration vs host bone.
4. The influence of the implant surface on osseointegration in poor bone quality sites
5. The osteotome technique. Bone-to-implant contact in poor bone quality sites.
6. Guided bone regeneration with a bioresorbable membrane around exposed implant threads.
7. Enamel matrix protein device for periodontal regeneration in recession-type defects.
8. Enamel matrix protein device for periodontal regeneration in class II furcations.
9. Wound healing of free connective tissue grafts with or without periosteum in recession-type defects.
Dr. Hoffmeyer’ research participation and case contribution and has been presented in several places:
1999 First Prize & Edward J. Cooksey Award Table Clinic Presentation. AlloDerm dermal (skin) grafts and implants.
(Greather Houston Dental Society Annual Meeting, Texas, USA)
1999 First Prize Award in Institutional Category Table Clinic Presentation. AlloDerm dermal grafts and implants
(Texas Dental Association Annual Meeting, Texas, USA)
1999 Table Clinic Presentation. AlloDerm dermal grafts and dental implants.
(UTHSC-DB, Texas, USA).
1999 Table Clinic Presentation. AlloDerm dermal grafts and dental implants.
(American College of Prosthodontists Annual Meeting, NewYork, USA)
2000 Poster Presentation. Implants & bone regeneration.
(Academy Of Osseointegration Annual Meeting, New Orleans, USA).
2000 Poster Presentation. Recessions, membranes & Emdogain
(European Federation of Periodontology Conference, Europerio 3, Geneva, Switzerland).
2000 Oral Presentation. Papillon-Lefevre Syndrome (Genetic) and periodontal disease in children.
(Department of Oral Health, Texas, USA).
2000 Lecture. Keratinized tissue around implants.
(UTHSC-DB, Texas, USA)
2000 Thesis Defense (Specialist in Periodontology). Research project on implants and bone regeneration
(University of Texas Health Science Center Dental Branch, Texas, USA) (Book with ADA & UT Library)
2001 Poster Presentation. Bone regeneration around implants using bioresorbable membrane in critical size
defects (Academy of Osseointegration Annual Metting, Toronto, Canada).
2002 Poster Presentation. Osseointegration of different implant surfaces in poor bone quality sites
(IADR, International Association for Dental Research Annual Metting, San Diego, USA.
2002 Presentation. The bone-implant interface in regenerated bone and in host bone
(Pan-European Federation Conference, IADR, International Association for Dental Research, UK).
2003 Co-author. Osseotite vs. machined surface in poor bone quality
(International Journal of Clinical Oral Implants Research)
Upon graduation as a specialist Dr. Hoffmeyer has practiced in both U.S.A. and in Denmark.
Recently, she received the possibility of contributing as part-time Clinical Teacher of Undergraduate Periodontics at the University of Copenhagen, Dental School. An opportunity and environment she has looked forward to and is sincerely enjoying.
As a noted clinician, Dr. Hoffmeyer is dedicated to keeping her training current and providing you with the latest and best technologies available. She prefers to base her treatment on scientifically proven procedures and uses a great deal of time on continuing education through international journals, courses and conferences each year.
She is certified in Basic and Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Conscious Sedation and has experience working 11 years with anesthesiologists who have performed deep sedation of her patients.
She is also certified first in U.S.A and then in Denmark in treating with Invisalign Orthodontics and Inman Aligner.
Currently she is, as one of the few in Denmark, in the process of taking a European certified postgraduate educational program and Master Degree in Laser Dentistry.
Dr. Hoffmeyer is a member of numerous American, European and Scandinavian Associations and Societies in General Dentistry, Periodontology, Dental Implants.
Overall Dr. Marianne Hoffmeyer reflects a life-long commitment to professional service and excellence and is, in her specialty field, one of the most educated and well experienced i Danmark.
As a kind, experienced, skilled and trusted dentist, she offers a genuine interest in her patients’ well being, doing her best to make everyone she treats feel welcome, respected and important.
What is a periodontist?
- A Periodontist is a specialized dentist with an advanced training in the treatment of periodontal disease and in the placement of dental implants.
- Certification as a periodontist is achieved after extensive training during a minimum of 3 years of a full time program approved by the American Dental Association.
- This specialty concentrates on:
- Diagnosis, treatment and prevention of periodontal (gum and bone) disease
- Implant surgery
- Regeneration (re-growth) of lost bone and soft tissue around teeth and implants
- Treatment of failing implants
- Analysis and treatment of occlusion (bite)
- Esthetic cosmetic periodontal procedures to help you achieve the smile you desire
- Functional procedures to lengthen your brooken tooth so it can receive a new crown
- Maintenance of health, function and esthetics of your gums, bone, teeth and implants
- Knowledge and of the latest techniques in this field of specialty
Often, dentists refer their patients to a periodontist when periodontal disease is present, or cosmetic periodontal and implant treatment is needed. Dr. Hoffmeyer will work closely with your general dentist in achieving the planned treatment.
However, you don’t need a referral to see a periodontist. You are welcome to call directly for a periodontal or implant evaluation.
Periodontics is one of 8 specialties recognized by the American Dental Association. The Implant Specialty is not a separate individually recognized specialty, but is an integrated part of Periodontics and other relevant specialties.
A similar advanced education study is offered in some European countries, but is not offered in Denmark.
What is a diplomate?
- A Diplomate is a periodontist who is certified by the American Board of Periodontology.
- This is given to a periodontist who has made significant achievements beyond the mandatory educational requirements of the specialty.
- A Diplomate has been examined by a panel of internationally respected peers and awarded the prestigeous Diplomate status.
- Your periodontist has received one of the highest recognitions of achievement afforded by this specialty in The United States.
- By achieving this status your periodontist has demonstrated interest in providing the best, most up-to-date care for her patients.
- She is committed to regularly attend international courses and conferences to maintain her expertise.
- She is also committed to a lifelong board re-certification process with examinations in the U.S.A.
- If you want a periodontal (gum and bone) and dental implant evaluation
- If you want dental implant treatment (see “Dental Implants”)
- If you notice any symptoms of periodontal disease (see “periodontal disease”)
- If you have a family member with periodontal disease (see “medical health”, “diabetes”, etc.)
- If you have a systemic disease (see “medical health”, “diabetes”, “cardiovascular disease”, etc.)
- If you are smoking (see “smoking”)
- If you are thinking of becoming pregnant (see “medical health” topics)
- If you want to change your “gummy smile” or cover your “long teeth” with gum (“Cosmetic Periodontics”)
- If you have a sore or irritation in your mouth that does not get better within 2 weeks
- If you grind or clench your teeth (see “Grinding and Clenching”)
- If your teeth have moved and you want them aligned (see “Periodontal Disease” and “Invisalign”)